Saturday, February 16, 2013

Valentine's Day, Lent, and Thankfulness



Valentine's Day was simple and sweet this year. Pippa wore a new little heart-filled shirt, and Stella got little nail decals for the special day (Plus she wore her new Minnie Mouse shirt from grandma-she couldn't be happier). We made heart-shaped scones for her daycare friends too.



Richard and I always do easy things for each other-cards, and a small something we each need or want. But this year, my favorite thing was to make him a chalkboard. Each month, a few of us girls get together to make a craft. Usually it's stuff we've seen on Pinterest. Sometimes they are failures, other times they are perfect. This chalkboard is perfect. He's my love. On good days and bad. I love it. He liked it too...but I think I loved it more.

The last two weeks have been hard. Harder than the first two weeks of either of my baby's lives. I started back to work. I love working. I love teaching. I love kids. But Pippa hasn't been sleeping well at night. She's up every two hours wanting to eat...or something. So I work all day, come home to love on my family (as best I can these days) and then stay up all night. Everyday. I'm exhausted. It feels like there is no relief, ever. And whatever flu bug is going around found it's way in my house, in me, probably because I'm not getting any rest. Richard is home at night now; basketball is over. But it still feels hard. Honestly, I think I thought everything would just magically be easier and better because he was able to be home to help at night. And he does. He's great. The girls are bathed much more often now, ha! But it's still hard. I'm weary.

I recently found a blog by a woman many people already know about; Ann Voskamp. Her blog is called A Holy Experience. I love it. It's about a real woman, being a real wife, mother, and Jesus follower. Reading her blog has encouraged me to think on what I am thankful for. I wasn't sure if I was going to participate in lent this year. But I am. I am going to write down something I am thankful for, for 40 days leading up to Easter. I am writing it on the Love chalkboard. Seems like thankfulness and love link together in many ways. It's in our kitchen, so I see it often. Especially on days that are taking the wind out of me.

Stella and I wrote down things we are thankful for today. She's thankful for mommy, daddy, and Uncle. I am thankful that Richard IS home at night now, that he makes me coffee in the morning, and for reminders to be thankful.

We wrote our thankful notes this morning. This afternoon I had more things to be thankful for. It seems that just being observant of thankful times, brings about more.

Rodney watched Pippa for an hour so Stella and I could go to the Farmer's Market to get honey and to find a honey stick for our new honey pots. We don't get sweet moments with just the two of us very often anymore.

I Loved it. Thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment