Saturday, December 11, 2010

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree...



Early this morning I went to Redwood Covenant Church to help pass out food to those in need. I'd never done this before so I hardly knew what to expect. I showed up at 7am to see hundreds of families posted up waiting for us to "open". The line wrapped around the church and some had been waiting since midnight. It was great to see so many families getting food, gifts, and Christmas trees this holiday season. Despite the long line and long wait, kids and adults alike were smiling and thankful.


Later that morning, we went out to pick out our first family Christmas tree. Richard's mom loved Christmas so it is his goal to really "do it up" this year. To that effort, when asked what size tree he wanted he said, "the biggest tree you got!" And that is exactly what they gave us. This tree was so big that we didn't have enough lights or ornaments to hang on it. Of course, it was not an option for us to just decorate the middle and leave the rest bare, so Richard went to get more....of everything.

I love coming into our house and smelling pine. I love that the first thing I see when I walk in is our huge tree in all its grandeur. And I especially love the feeling that comes with decorating a tree and the memories it brings back for all of us.

We miss you Beth and you will be greatly missed this Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment