Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Chocolate Date Bars

I like Lara Bars. Stella likes Lara Bars. Lara Bars are expensive. But I feel like they are full of whole foods and nothing processed, so I've been buying them as easy snacks on the go. But in an effort to save money on these kinds of things, I've been trying to make them myself. Any recipe I have tried so far has not lived up to my expectations. Until now. This is pretty good! I like it. Stella likes it. It went fast in our house.



Chocolate Date Bars (or Balls, whatever is easiest) with a hint of Coconut

1 cup of Medjool Dates (I didn't use Medjool this time)
1/2 cup of walnuts
1/4 cup of pepitas (mine happened to be roasted and salted, would be good raw too)
1/4 cup of shredded raw coconut (omit if you don't like coconut)
1/4 cup of cocoa
1 TBSP of honey (to help it come together, could also use coconut oil melted or add 1-2 more dates-I didn't have more so I added honey)

Note: You could really use any nuts you have on hand, this is just what I had. Almonds, walnuts, cashews, and pepitas will all taste delicious in this recipe.

1. Place nuts, coconut, and cocoa in food processor and pulse till finely ground (15 seconds or so)
2. Add dates and drizzle of honey to food processor and process till dough begins to come together
3. Press evenly into a 9x9 pan (for a thicker and less crumbly bar, use only half the 9x9) and refrigerate for 1 hour
4. Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment